- Special Educational Needs
- Indentification and Support
Indentification and Support
Children may be identified as having SEN through a variety of ways including the following:
- Liaison with previous primary school
- Child performing below age expected levels
- Concerns raised by parent/carer
- Liaison with external agencies
- Health diagnosis through paediatrician/doctor
As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against National expectations and age related expectations. The class teachers continually assess each child and note areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry through to Year 11, using a variety of different methods and assessment tools.
Children who are not making expected progress are picked up within departments through our regular progress tracking methods. Discussions take place within the department in the first instance and with the SENCo and Head of Year as necessary concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further support can be given to aid their progression.
If the student already has a statement, it will be transferred to an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) within the next three years. If required, the school will work in liaison with the LA to assess the student, with a view to a possible EHCP.
Students who do not meet the criteria for statutory assessment but have identified SEN, will be referred to as having ‘Additional Needs’.
These students will be supported through a range of strategies, including:
- Support from a LSA
- Inclusion in an appropriate intervention
- Referral to an outside agency
- Support from a SENCo to suggest personalised approaches to the subject specialist teacher
In order to fulfil its commitment to fully support every child into success, the school already has in place a range of specialist interventions and continues always to seek new ways of providing support. Examples of the kind of support we can provide are:
- Input from the specialist teacher team
- Access to the Educational Psychologist
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Behavioural Therapy
- Specific Equipment